One important way every citizen can become involved with democracy is to join LWVTSC at our local events. You’ll learn about current issues affecting our community and have the chance to meet new people, including your elected representatives at select events.
Our Tuesday Topics events are held the first Tuesday of every month. These engaging discussions feature an invited speaker discussing topics relevant to our work today. Members and the general public are invited to join us at these free events. If you are not a member of the League, register on the Topeka-Shawnee Public Library site to receive the Zoom link.
LWVTSC can provide free rides for members to attend our events. Please contact us if you’re looking for transportation.
Tuesday Topics Scheduled Speakers for 2021
- January 5, 2021 Dr. Gianfranco Pezzino, Shawnee County Health Officer (through Dec 2020) and Kansas Health Institute Senior Fellow | Public Health Challenges: Coronavirus, Pandemic & Beyond
- February 2, 2021 Dr. Amber Dickinson, Washburn University Political Science Assistant Professor | Redistricting
- March 2, 2021 Dr. Bob Beatty, Washburn University Political Science Chair | the president’s first days in office and the Electoral College
- April 6, 2021 Annual Meeting
May 4, 2021 Chrissy Russell from Valeo and Sgt. Josh Klamm from Topeka Police Department | Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) in Topeka
June 1, 2021 Jessica Lenherr from the United Way of Greater Topeka | programs United Way supports and volunteer opportunities.
- July 6, 2021 Dr. Russell Fox Professor of Political Science, Director of Honors Program and Model UN Sponsor at Friends University will talk about voter suppression.
August 3, 2021 Ann Mah, Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) will talk about important issues facing KSDE.
September 7, 2021 Melissa Stiehler, Loudlight, will discuss voter suppression.
October 5, 2021 Brian Cole, Shawnee County Department of Corrections, and Bill Persinger, Valeo, will discuss the “Stepping Up” initiative.
November 2, 2021 Zack Pistora, Sierra Club, will speak on environmental issues.
December 7, 2021 Forum with Shawnee County Legislative Delegation.